Friday, October 9, 2015

Reshaping the Concept of Work

Here's a problem: life is becoming more and more dependent on working extended hours. Why? Why do we feel compelled to be on and available at all hours of the day? Why do we feel compelled to respond to that email or phone call when we should be disconnecting from work and nuturing our life outside of work? More importantly, why don't people get this concept? I mentioned to someone yesterday that I don't work once I'm home and the response I got was "that's good"...in other words "what's wrong with you?"
I've read a lot about the need for work/life balance, for movement towards a 4-day work week, for paid maternity AND paternity leave outside of vacation time accrued. And yet most business leaders see all of these concepts as a detriment to the business. Unless you are in the medical industry (accidents and ailments don't come just between the hours of 9-5 Monday-Friday), my question is simple: why?
What are we doing that is so critical that we bury ourselves in work? What transformational and life-extending idea or product are we creating that demands such ridiculous effort? Most of the time, the answer is "nothing, that's just what my company/boss expects of me". I call bullshit. Here's a different train of thought: what are we doing to minimize the necessity for work? What advancements are we doing to require less time at the office and more time at home or places we actually want to be?
I read recently about the concept of machines becoming so effective and intelligent that we could be looking at a future where full-time employment becomes harder and harder to find. Again, why is that a problem?! I know this is completely outlandish but stay with me: how about, if we get to that point, we still pay people the same amount for less work? Maybe, just maybe, we want to take care of our fellow man, provide them the income and benefits they need to provide for their family and not chain them to a desk for 50 hours a week because "that's just how it needs to be"? Maybe we stop being hyper-focused on making a bunch of money for ourselves and instead investing in being better humans. I know: crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment