Thursday, October 22, 2015

What is your finish line?

I'm in Portland, looking out the back of my home, sipping a cup of morning coffee. The sun has just started to come up over the mountains, giving off just enough light to not be blinding but shooing away the night. The house itself is beautiful - lots of large glass panes to let in as much natural light as possible, exposed rafters, a very urban log-cabin feel to it. Soft leather chairs and couches face the front of the house, a kitchen to the right. Looking out the back, there's a porch that juts out to give you that feeling that you're hovering over the hillside. Looking out to the east is the city, intermingled among the trees. The air is cool but not crisp.
This is my morning ritual, before I go into the chaos head-first. The frenetic pace of life in the office is balanced by this moment, right here, when everyone but me is still asleep. I work...a lot but it's on my terms.
Business is going well. It's that feeling of accomplishment that goes through me this morning...I did it. I'm not content with "it" though. There is still much to be done - much more than anyone can anticipate. I've been holding back, waiting for everyone to get a moment of victory savored before I drop the next bomb - we have to do it all over again. Not because someone screwed up but because we can't be content with "right now" - we must strive to tomorrow. And in this moment, by myself, I smile because I know that the path ahead might be difficult but no one could have seen this coming, not by a country mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment